Friday, March 11, 2016

I CAN COUNT MWAHAHAHA

Hey howdy hey. (Super great way to start an entry.) So if you read the title, I'm pretty sure you can guess what this entry is about. (Hopefully your comprehension skills are decent.) Before I made this entry, I could count to, like, twelve in Tagalog.


I know. So fun, right? I got mad language skills. But even then I was so confused.

Apparently, Tagalog has two number systems. Of course, the one that's used most is entirely in Tagalog, and is used for counting, telling the date, and telling time (in certain situations). Here's a little table to help you memorize it:

zero
wala
one
isa
two
dalawa
three
tatlo
four
apat
five
lima
six
anim
seven
pito
eight
walo
nine
siyam
ten
sampu
eleven
labing-isa
twelve
labing-dalawa
thirteen
labing-tatlo
twenty
dalawampu
twenty-one
dalawampu’t isa
thirty
tatlumpu
thirty-one
tatlumpu’t isa
forty
apatnapu
forty-one
apatnapu’t isa
fifty
limampu
fifty-one
limampu’t isa
sixty
animnapu
sixty-one
animnapu’t isa
seventy
pitumpu
seventy-one
pitumpu’t isa
eighty
walumpu
eighty-one
walumpu’t isa
ninety
siyamnapu
ninety-one
siyamnapu’t isa
one hundred
isang daan
I lied the table actually wasn't that little. Oops.

The other system borrows a lot of numbers from Spanish, but most of them are spelled differently. Look at the spolling. Just look at it.

zero
sero
one
uno
two
dos
three
tres
four
kwatro
five
sinko
six
sais
seven
siyete
eight
otso
nine
nuwebe
ten
diyes
eleven
onse
twelve
dose
thirteen
trese
twenty
beynte
twenty-one
beynteuno
thirty
trenta
thirty-one
trentauno
forty
kwarenta
forty-one
kwarentauno
fifty
singkwenta
fifty-one
singkwentauno
sixty
seisenta
sixty-one
seisentauno
seventy
setenta
seventy-one
setentauno
eighty
otsenta
eighty-one
otsentauno
ninety
nobenta
ninety-one
nobentauno
one hundred
siyento

So, now then I found myself getting lost between three number systems: the Tagalog system, the Taglalog/Spanish system, and the Spanish system. It just makes counting really awkward for me. I have to take ten-second-long pauses between numbers to make sure that I'm not about to mess with my "mad language skills."

Guh. Why, Tagalog, why?

Anyway, I'm getting a lot better now. I can count to one hundred since I've been using this Tagalog-teaching app and numbers from this link: http://www.omniglot.com/language/numbers/tagalog.htm. Although I still have those really awkward pauses. I guess that I'll just keep on practicing it and maybe do some counting everyday to get used to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment