Friday, March 11, 2016

I learned how to call people "ugly" in Tagalog

Hi, there! Just as a little note, I wanted to say that this is a rewritten version of this entry. I wrote the first one when I was half asleep, and it was just ew... So that's why I'm giving this more thorough version that covers what I learned yesterday and today.

So yesterday, I learned more about making comparisons when describing appearances and landscapes. To make a comparison in Tagalog, make sure to use the words "mas" and "kaysa." The way that Tagalog uses "mas" is pretty much just like Spanish. It's just used to say that something is more than something else. And the word "kaysa" helps to complete that phrase by acting as the word "than." So all that you have to do is follow this structure:

"Ang" + subject + "ay mas" + adjective + "kaysa sa" + object.

So if I wanted to say something like "the girl is uglier than the dog", I could say something like "ang babae ay mas pangit kaysa sa aso."

Or if I wanted to say, "The man is fatter than the cow", I'd say, "Ang lalaki ay mas mataba kaysa sa baka." Pretty nice, right?

You could even take it a step further by using the superlative. (That just means saying that something is the most out of a group.) To use the superlative in Tagalog, use the word "pinaka" which means "the most." Attach it to the beginning of an adjective and follow your basic sentence structure. For example, if I wanted to say "the little boy is the smallest in the class", I'd say, "Ang batang lalaki ay pinakamaliit na nasa klase."

So, yeah. That's all that I really have to say for this entry. It's a pretty easy thing to remember, so all that I have to do from now is expand my vocabulary and use different adjectives. That's going to be such a pain to memorize, isn't it? Oh well. If any of you lonely Internet people ever want to spend your time memorizing a bunch of vocabulary, here's a link to a list: http://mylanguages.org/filipino_adjectives.php. Have fun...or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment