Tuesday, March 8, 2016

I can never buy things in the Philippines

So, I learned more about Tagalog phrases to say when you're buying things, and I have to say that I am at least 30% more confused than I originally was. It's not really the vocabulary that's bothering me because that's sort of easy. The only problem is that the word "bayad" sounds like "buy" but means "pay." And the word "bili" sounds like "bill" but means "buy." And apparently "buo" means "bill" (as in dollar bills), but so does "dolyar." And using "dolyar" makes more sense to me because I read that "buo" also means "entire" and I don't know how to feel about that when it's used to describe money. I just...what?

And no. This isn't even the thing I'm most confused on what I'm concerned with is how I'm starting to confuse my articles. I don't know when to use "ng" or "ang." Like in the sentence "makakabayad ba ako gamit ang credit kard", I confuse the "ang" article with "ng" and I really don't know why. I guess that I'm just so used to joining it to the end of so many words that it's sort of become automatic for me. I'll have to study that a lot more soon.

Yeah, I need to make a lot more progress, but in other news, I now know how to describe basic body parts in Tagalog! Yeah! Yeah. Hah... It's not much of an accomplishment, but you know. It's something.

No comments:

Post a Comment